My Five-Minute Microwave Chocolate Cake!

piece of five-minute-microwave-cake
This chocolate cake is so easy and light as a feather.

What I have for you is one of the best microwave chocolate cakes that I ever tasted.  I found this particular recipe when my built-in oven finally died and I was in need of some chocolate cake. This recipe for my Five-Minute Microwave Chocolate Cake is just as light as a typical packaged cake mix instead of one using all-purpose flour.

Trust me, I  experimented with lots of versions of this cake and no recipe compares to this!  However, I don’t recommend trying to eliminate the cocoa for a yellow cake version.  Adjusting the flour does not work in the same way.  The cake is heavier and slightly gluey unlike the airy chocolate.

I am a chocolate freak.  In fact, my entire family feels the same way so this flavor of cake appears often at my house.  Another wonderful chocolate cake recipe that I hope that you’ll want to make is my Devil’s Delight Chocolate Cake, which is sinfully dark and delicious as well.

five-minute-microwave chocolate cake unbaked
This microwave chocolate cake is so moist and delicate in its texture.

Five-Minute Microwave Chocolate Cake

1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup hot water, divided
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoon flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons canola oil
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla

Grease a round 8 x 1-1/2″-inch microwave baking dish.  First microwave the cocoa and 1/3 cup of the water on HIGH (full power) for about 40 seconds or until slightly thickened.
Now sift flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt together in your mixing bowl.  Add oil, the other 1/3 cup of hot water, egg, vanilla and the chocolate mixture.  Beat this until smooth.

Pour batter into your greased pan.  Microwave on HIGH for 5 to 6 minutes or until the cake begins to pull away from the sides of the pan.  (It will look moist in some spots, but this will go away once the cake sits.)

Cool, then frost with my Simple Chocolate Frosting.

Simple Chocolate Frosting

1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/8 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/8 cup margarine
1/8 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Beat everything in your bowl until creamy and spreadable!

ENJOY!

8 Comments

1. Sarah, Three Boys
    January 23, 2011 / 6:09 pm

Love your blog! I am your newest follower from the hop! Hope you will stop by ThreeBoys and follow along too:)threeboys-home.blogspot.com

2. Debbie Hewitt
    January 23, 2011 / 6:28 pm

YUM, that looks absolutely divine!! quick question: can the all purpose flower and baking soda be switched out for self-rising? or since it's a microwave, the all purpose needs to be used?I can't wait to try it!! PLUS, it's perfect for in the summer and you don't want to add heat to your house by using an oven!

3. Mary B. (Nuts4Stuff)
    January 23, 2011 / 7:54 pm

Debbie,I never used the self-rising flour before only plain all-purpose flour. Check my other cakes and recipes here for simple. I have a great yellow cake you just use oil. Easy is my kind of thing!Mary B.

4. DIAPERS in the DESERT
    January 23, 2011 / 10:29 pm

Love the blog! Thanks for stopping by mine~ I would describe my cooking as microwaving chic~ I am def. going to try out this recipe… and I don't normally say that!!! I am now a new follower~ Can't wait to read more!!

5. Amy
    January 23, 2011 / 11:18 pm

Sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing! Yummo!!!Thanks for linking up to Sensational Sunday Follow through Harvest For Tomorrow. I am your newest follower!

6. Brenda
    January 24, 2011 / 4:47 am

Newest follower here from the Sunday blog hop. I think I am going to try this cake it looks simple to make but oh so yummy! Drop by and check out my blog at WV Stitcher. Have an awesome week!

7. Nick
    January 24, 2011 / 3:23 pm

Just made this cake yesterday. This cake is excellent! It tastes great in the microwave.

8. Anonymous
    February 21, 2015 / 5:23 pm

I made the cake. I loved it and everyone praised me for it. This is gonna be a saver when guests come over on a short notice.