|This beauty is now reconsidering what else may be in her jewelry.|
Skin allergies are more common than you think. Perhaps, you never thought it could happen to you. However, symptoms may suddenly appear one day like irritated skin. Suddenly you are left with swollen earlobes that are red and itchy. This is confusing since you never changed soaps, laundry detergents or ate anything unusual. Then it occurs to you that you wore new earrings, but how could new jewelry be responsible for those skin allergies?
You might never have suffered an allergic symptom in your life, but there is always a first time. You can react to any substance whether ingested, inhaled or once your skin is put in contact such as when wearing jewelry to cause contact allergic dermatitis.
The main culprit in jewelry to cause allergic reactions is any nickel in the piece. This is the metal that can be in gold or silver-plated jewelry as a base. However, you can’t assume that more expensive jewelry is completely nickle free and will prevent skin allergies.
The amount of actual nickel in gold jewelry depends on the number of karats. For example, 18% karat gold has about 75% gold to another metal, most likely nickel. The less karats, the more that piece of jewelry uses more nickel. The only being nickle free is stainless steel jewelry.
If you’re thinking of getting your ears pierced, then make sure to insist on a stainless steel needle for the piercing and buy only stainless steel earrings to be on the safest side. If you must have gold, then higher grades like 18K or 24K gold earrings are what you should stick with.
Nickle can be found in a lot of different forms of jewelry like necklaces, bracelets and rings. Of course, you can be allergic to another substance in jewelry that can lead to rashes, itching, blistering and crusty, oozing skin, but nickel is your skin’s biggest threat if you’re susceptible to it and skin allergies.